Throwing together a quick, nutritious meal requires a well-stocked kitchen. However, many popular healthy foods are highly perishable, and much be used within a few days, causing you to though your food stores quickly and/or tossing food out. You can still keep a number of healthy, long-lasting staples in your pantry, freezer and fridge and use them to make nutrient-dense meals and snacks, even when you’re out of your typical go-to foods.
Here are some healthy staples that you should always have on hand.
- 1. Dried and canned beans and lentils
- Not only does this healthy food last a long time but they are highly nutritious, offering an abundance of nutrients, fiber, magnesium, B vitamins and iron.
- 2. Nuts, seeds and their butters
- Nuts and seeds are nutritional powerhouse, providing healthy fats, filling protein, fiber and an array of vitamins and minerals.
- 3. Grains
- Sticking to types like brown rice, oats, quinoa and others, are great when in a pinch. Grain-based dishes like salads, grain bowls, soups and pilafs make a great choice due their versatility and convenience.
- 4. Frozen fruit and vegetables
- Buying these foods in frozen form allows you to always have nutrient-dense produce on hand.
Having your fridge, pantry and freezer stocked with healthy foods can ensure that you always have ingredients on hand to prepare a healthy snack or home-cooked meal. Having these staples will make healthy eating easier and less stressful.